By: Melissa Howell, SVP, Global Human Resources and K Pride & Allies Executive Sponsor
For more than 100 years, Kellogg Company has nourished families so they can flourish and thrive. We pride ourselves on welcoming everyone to the table and we are committed to celebrating moments that are significant and meaningful to all families.
This month, Kellogg and its brands are celebrating Pride Month. Pride, celebrated each June around the world, is a recognition of the LGBTQ community’s history and progress for equality. This year also marks the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots in New York City and a half-century of LGBTQ liberation.
In recognition of this significant milestone, Kellogg – together with its brands and K Pride and Allies (KPA), its Business/Employee Resource Group (B/ERG) dedicated to LGBTQ inclusion and engagement – is proud to sponsor 2019 WorldPride in New York City and participate in Pride celebrations around the world. Participating in these activities aligns with our commitment to living our founder’s values.
We have long been allies and supporters of LGBTQ employees, their families and the community. As the Executive Sponsor of KPA, I am proud to work for a company that knows its greatest strength lies in the many diverse, inclusive and passionate people we have around the world.
At Kellogg, we know that people are our competitive advantage. We know we must nurture a diverse, inclusive environment in which all our people are empowered to bring their authentic “whole selves” to work and achieve their full potential.
In addition to Pride, throughout the year, Kellogg is committed to LGBTQ inclusion and engagement.
- 2018 marked the third consecutive year Kellogg has been an official sponsor of GLAAD’s Spirit Day, a day to show support for LGBTQ youth and take a collective stand against bullying.
- In 2018, Kellogg launched special-edition “All Together” cereal on Spirit Day in collaboration with GLAAD to support inclusion and stand up against bullying.
- Kellogg formally signed on to the Human Rights Campaign’s (HRC) Business Coalition for Workplace Fairness in support of the Federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act (FNDA). The company is also part of the HRC’s Business Coalition in support of the Equality Act.
Our ongoing efforts to foster an open, inclusive environment where everyone’s ideas, views and perspectives are sought and valued is the cornerstone of our company’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
A leader in many LGBTQ-specific areas, Kellogg offers domestic partner benefits and established K Pride and Allies chapters in North America, Latin America and Europe. And, we’re honored to be recognized for our efforts:
- We received a perfect score of 100 percent on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index, designating us a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality.
- DiversityInc recognized Kellogg as a Best Company for LGBTQ Employees.
- Kellogg Mexico was awarded the first international HRC certificate: Equidad MX.
This June, we’re proud to sponsor and participate in events within the communities where we work and live. And, while we are proud of our progress to foster an inclusive, welcoming environment to all, we’re always striving to do better. We will continue to raise the bar – during Pride Month, and throughout the year – and we will continue to welcome all families to the table.
For more information on our diversity and inclusion efforts, please visit our website here.